Monday, October 13, 2008

Hot Meal for a Cold Day

I keep losing this recipe on my computer, so I am going to post it here, then I can find it and you can, too!
***
RL Ranch Cookhouse Chili

2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
3 tsp brown sugar (Optional--this gives a more barbecue-ish flavor)
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 pound ground beef
One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed
One 15-ounce can kidney beans, not drained
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

Grated cheddar, for serving (optional)
Sour cream, for serving (optional)
Chopped onion, for serving (optional)

-Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic and onion, and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and chili powder; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
-Add beef, and cook until browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add green pepper, and cook for 2 minutes.
-Add tomatoes, beans and their liquid, and cook until thickened, 35 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.


Just Like Marie’s Cornbread

SERVES 6
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup oil

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl.
Mix wet ingredients in another bowl; then combine with dry and stir till combined. Pour into ungreased 8x8” pan and bake 20-25 min at 400°F.

4 comments:

Jill Petersen said...

That is SO perfect that you posted that! I just signed up to do a chili for the cook off in a few weeks. Normally I wouldn't do that but I wanted to try making some. I am going to use that one! Awesome Jamie! Your so intune to what I need! J/k!!!

Laura said...

I just made a huge pot of chili for our Sunday dinner.....It was so yummy.

Jamie said...

It turned out soooo good! I doubled the recipe, but not the onions, and I tripled the beans (I added a can of kidney beans, a can of black beans, and a can of great northern beans). I also always season it with Johnny's season salt at the end. I hope it turns out good for you, Jill! Lulu, I miss you!

Laura said...

I miss you too! I always add Kidney beans, Black beans, Great northern beans....I also add sweet corn. I added a can of sliced mushrooms this time. It was really good.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...