Saturday, November 22, 2008

Popeye Update

My eye apointment went well. It was so cool to see my CT scan. My eye muscles, which should like little stripes on the scan, look like jelly beans behind my orbits (eyeballs). My right eyelid is retracted and the eyeball is protruding about 2+mm. My vision doubles when I look up and to the far right. I didn't really notice until the doc pointed it out. He says I am in the active phase of Grave's Disease (the degenerative part). They're not sure how far into it I am, but it usually lasts a year or so, and then it levels off, and then they do surgery to repair the damage. Sometimes the muscles swell and squeeze off the optic nerve--but that's rare--and then they don't wait for the inactive phase--they do emergency surgery to relieve the pressure.

Anyway, to manage the pressure right now, I am going on a six-week program of IV steroid treatment (with our friend, prednisone--UGH!) a the closest chemo center, and they will communicate my status to the eye center here. I'll come to Utah every three months or so for check ups until the active phase is over and then we'll go from there.

I am going to see a nutritionist to manage the ravenous hunger and bloating that comes from prednisone because I am at maximum density right now--I just can't gain anymore weight or I'll die! I look forward to less inflamation in my body and working out with the PT and the Curves girls!

Yay for getting better!

We're off to Addie's birthday brunch with cousins at Mimi's Cafe...we are having a ball with them. Shout out to Cousin Brent for stopping by last night and celebrating with us...he even tolerated a Barbie movie and lots of hugs/ wrestling. It meant a lot to the kids to see you, Brentito! And same for you, Papa Post and Jeanna--it was so fun to see you!

The daddies just got home from a scout campout and they need hugs. Have a fun Saturday!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow...sounds painful. I hate the whole steroid thing...prayers for you girly! Hey I need to make 6 dozen gignerbread cookies for YW activity want to bake with me???
Love ya!

Laura said...

Sounds like we need to start up "Operation Jamie care". I love you so much. You will be in our prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Can't wait to see you.

Jessica said...

Yikes! That doesn't sound like much fun, but...I guess knowing is half the battle. You are in my prayers too. ((hugs))

Unknown said...

Jamie! Ok, what? I need to call you, right now I'm going to see if your home. Sorry I was in a hurry the other day, but had a huge load of groceries to buy and a time limit with a babysitting boy coming. I'll try calling right now! love ya,

Adriane

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...