Friday, January 30, 2009

To Pay Attention

Last night we had a small but delightful Primary Teacher Improvement meeting, followed by some refreshments and chatting. Everything went well, I think; I felt edified and relieved when it was done (I feel uncomfortable leading these meetings when everyone intheroom has far more experience than I do, but it's my responsibility now, so I try...). I got in the car with all my stuff and the left over refreshments, out of the howling, freezing wind, and when I turned on the car, City Arts & Lectures was on NPR (I love Linda Hunt's voice; she and Robin Young & Garrison Keillor have the most soothing voices in radio). The poet Mary Oliver was reading her work and I was mesmerized. I sat in the car for 25 minutes, eating baby carrots and celery slivers listening to some of the most beautiful poetry I have ever heard. I feel pretty lame for never exploring her work before, although I have read a few of her poems. Amazing. I feel so much better today after having that meeting and hearing that poetry. I feel like catching some of that show was a little hug from Heavenly Father for trying to do what I am supposed to be doing, even though it's hard for me...thanks for the thanks...

Here is some Mary Oliver for you on such a winter's day. And you can watch the official "warm-me-up-song" of January. TGIF!

The Summer Day

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean--the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down--
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed,
how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver

***

2 comments:

Lyndi said...

good song, Maj. Hey I miss you, I know you are sooo busy being the P.P. I hate running meetings too, esp. the scout planning meetings, I don't have a clue what to tell them what to do. I have a deal with Kent the cub master, He runs the meetings and I show up and do what ever he tells me to do. So far it has worked pretty good. See you soon! I am glad we both get to stay at Willys and help them get ready to go. love ya

Geo said...

Love this.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...