Friday, May 29, 2009

"On one morning in the month of May...


...when all the birds were singing/ I saw a lovely maiden stray/ Across the fields at break of day/ She softly sung her roundele/The tide flows in and the tide flows out/ twice ev'ryday returning"


I been singin' that song in my head...May has been lovely. I have three posts (at least) floating around in my head and things have slowed down a bit at the hotel (my first night working since September). First, I have been editing some 2007 fotos and I really need to do a post about the beauty of Paradise Valley & my town...we've got some great pix!


Secondly, my little sis called me in tears on Tuesday, crying because--even after emergency gall bladder surgery--she is still have intense abdominal pain. She said she felt stupid for crying because she was crying more out of frustration than pain. I TOTALLY understood what she was saying! I just wanted to write this paragraph to (belatedly) empathize with Jill. Even though I have felt pretty good for almost a whole month (aside from the horrid second-degree sunburn I got in Cali, but that's another story for another day, after I get the after-effects examined), I remember clearly breaking down a few weeks after my surgery. My scar was healing, but I felt total exhaustion and deep muscle pains much like two years earlier before I even had a diagnosis or treatment. I felt furious at the possiblity that the past 2 years had been in vain and I was back where I started. I know I was sitting in the bathroom and the girls had called from the family room asking if we could do some activity together and I had to say, "No, mommy's way too tired. I have to go to bed, but you can come snuggle me" for the millionth time. It hurt to pick up my pajamas, and as I put them on, I just started BAWLING. I think that was the first time I ever let myself COMPREHEND what it means to have a chronic, incureable disease. For a little minute I let myself think, "What if I feel like this forever?" It was a terrible thought. But almost as quickly I remembered how many people live happy lives with so much more affliction than I have known, so my sadness was short-lived. But I get it, Jill, I really do. Of course I am grateful for the health I do have, but I think not feeling well enough to play with my kids is the number one thing that gets to me. I HATE it. I am so grateful for the month of health I have enjoyed...and it's MAY...what beautiful timing! I hope you are better soon, dear sis, and able to enjoy your new crib! You gotta weed that giant garden! Grow me some pumpkins and zucchini!

Another thing is this: I know Heavenly Father loves the children of the Livingston Ward Primary. Wanna know how I know this? Because I see His hand working to make our Primary better for their sakes almost everyday. And when I am thoroughly exhausted (as I have been for 9 consecutive days), I am quickened just enough to accomplish what needs to be done for Primary. And when I am out of good ideas, He enlightens me, sends flashes of insight, and helps our whole presidency be TOTALLY awesome when we may have been only partially awesome. When a Primary child has been absent for a while, they will be on my mind and in my prayers, and WITHOUT FAIL, I will cross paths with that child (or his parents) within days. This has nothing to do with me; it has everything to do with those children being precious to Him. And I love them, too.

So. Tomorrow is our big quarterly Primary activity and officially putting in the garden. Somewhere in there, I am going to take a nap, I swear. If I don't, I am going to keel over. So tomorrow or Sunday I will check in, post some old Paradise Valley pix and some new ones of our doin's. What are YOU gonna do to ring out May?

2 comments:

Jill Petersen said...

Thanks Maj. I was such a mess that day and I am still frustrated but I am trying my hardest to be possitive. I hate not knowing what it is. It's like going through the old abdominal pain before the hysterectomy all over again! What else is hard is the whole aspect of pain meds, and not being able to play with my kids the way I should be. I don't want them to have a debilitating mom. I struggle a lot with Drew and trust, and you know the rest. It's hard to be in so much pain, and try and express that this time it truly is nessessary, although I am doing my best where that is concerned. Man, do I hate myself these days! The Lord is just going to have to take this from me because I don't know if I can have it.

Anonymous said...

Jamie, I got eyes full of tears as I read your post... I have never felt so helpless and frightened as I have these past 6 months - non stop pain, and feeling so helpless has been hard on me... The unknown future of not knowing when this will end is the worst... Will it go away, will I feel like this forever??? I am glad I am not alone - I wish more that no one had to go through any of this physical pain or the mental pain of just not knowing....

Taralyn

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...