Saturday, August 15, 2009

Need a Little Lisa...

It's time to get comfy because I'm going to tell you story. At first I was just going to post a picture of the necklaces I just made, but I am in a writing/ personal history kind of mood, so you get a story today. Ready? Okay.

Once upon a time, I lived in Provo at Frankenhaus, alone in a big bedroom at the top of the stairs where it got very hot in the summer time. Actually, the time upon which this all went down was the very hot summer of 1991. My boyfriend, Kevin, was using Frankenhaus as his mailing address while he was out gallivanting around the U.S., visiting his sisters and working in Washington, D.C. He would come back for a week or so at a time and stay with me, then be off again. It was while he was away that one Miss Lisa Robbins knocked on my door looking for him, having recently returned from Korea (I know what you're thinking now--you're wondering why I am stuck in PROVO for the summer while everyone I know is off on bold international adventures and the answer is that I had to WORK while I was in school. Don't be jealous).

So Lisa knocks on the door of Frankenhaus asking for Kevin (and yes, I realize I just changed tenses, but it's okay--pretend like we're just chatting and forget the grammar, k?). I tell Lisa that Kevin is gone, but she can come in and we end up hanging out all day long. I discover we love the same music, especially the Sundays and agree that Harriet Wheeler was the best singer of all the singers we'd discussed that day. I don't remember what else was discussed, only that from that moment on, we have been friends. Like instant, just-add-water, bosom-buddies. She is 364 days older than me, meaning her birthday is the day after mine, the year before mine (and while I don't read my horoscope or anything, I can't help but think there is something to astrology because Libras are freaking AWESOME). We have shared many a party, and the very next year after we met, we were both missionaries--Lisa serving in the Dominican Republic, me serving in exotic North Carolina. You can bet the very best letters I got were from Lisa (because--oh, yeah--we were both English Major nerds, too!) Post-mish, we were back in Provo together for a year, and then life pulled us in all different directions. But we've stayed friends because we are both committed communicators and because Lisa makes me laugh like no other!
THEN: Lisa, Me, and Phoebe in Summer 1995
NOW: Lisa with husband Tom in Virginia
(notice she just get lovelier with age, which I envy)
Lisa lives and works in the DC area and was married to her long-time friend-n-love, Tom Anderson about the same time I gave birth to James (so I had to miss the wedding, which still makes me a little sad). She keeps a wonderfully witty blog (much more clever and understated than this one) and you should check it out HERE. A few years ago, Lisa took a glass-bead-making class and sent me some awesome handmade earrings, as well as a few other lose beads. I have been wanting to use the beads for a long time, but I just didn't know how. Another Awesome Libra Friend, Debbie, taught me to bead jewelry, so this week I finally made myself some Lisa originals! I can take a little Lisa with me everywhere now! BEHOLD:

Two sets--one of glass & stone beads, the other with lots of blue glass and silver (from my mom). Can you spot the Lisa beads?
There's the blue one on the necklace...

and the green one on a bracelet!
***
Lisa, have I told you lately that I love you? Because I do. When I reflect on the randomness of our meeting, and then the subsequent strength and longevity of our friendship, the phrase "blessed and lucky" always comes to mind. Also, I can't help but feel like the best fruits of my relationship with Kevin are my girl friends! Yay that. Anyway, thanks for being you and for all the thoughtful things you do. My home and my inbox are practically littered with loving Lisa things, and I really do cherish them because you're fabulous.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

you need to start up a little biz, I want to buy a set!!!!

Lisa said...

Dearest Jamie,

Thank you! You have been such a fun friend and inspiring person to know. You have always been such a good influence at a time when I needed good influences -- something along the lines of somebody who could show that that you could love music AND church. Go to concerts AND go on a mission. Thank you for that.

I remember visiting your new apartment not too long after you married Rich. You were telling me about the wedding and you told me about how the officiant at the wedding told you and Rich to always take a minute when you came home to stop and kiss and give your full attention to your spouse. I thought that was good advice and repeated it to Tom years later, and we do it every single time one of us walks in the door. I still think it's good advice and have repeated it to many people. Thank you for that.

And that jewelry came out FANTASTIC. It's like stone soup -- I gave you two little rocks and you made a whole lovely stew!

Love,
Lisa

Heidi Totten said...

I met Lisa 12 years ago and my first real encounter with her involved her offering to drive to WEST VIRGINIA to rescue my cousin and me. Just add water (and a few odd characters), indeed! People who know Lisa are very very lucky.

Christi said...

I've known Lisa my whole life and I'm thankful she refrained from eliminating me & putting me out of her misery as her obstinate little sister. She has been a great example to me and my children. Always the first to give anything and the last to expect anything in return. I am proud and humbled to call her my sister. The world could use more lisa's.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...