Monday, October 19, 2009

Rainy Days & Mondays

Here are a few photos of the kids. We took a walk this morning , but it got pretty cold and windy.
On Friday, we said good bye to Peter.
He is touring National Parks for a few weeks, then returning to Prague.

Today during our walk, the girls spotted a black cat...
ooo, how Halloween-ish!

We had fun playing at the playground until it got a little too windy.

***


The other day I finished reading THIS book, Beloved Emma, a birthday gift from my mother-in-law. I thought it was going to be kind of a coffe table book, but when I sat down to read it, I ate it up in 2 days. It's a narrative biography of the life of Emma Smith and it has changed my attitude about a lot of things, especially the way I measure my faith. And how just plain weak I am, when I consider the things that shake me or cause me to murmur. Um, yeah...this story shut me right on up. I tend to give myself excuses for when I get into a funk, when I withdraw, putting my light under a bushel, then sitting down on top of the bushel and pouting. When I don't want to serve, I just want to curl up in a fetal position and whine. Emma had a thousand reasons to be depressed, anxious, faithless... but she gave what God asked her to give without question. Now that I am a wife and mother, I find her story almost unbearable to read--it makes me heartsick. The image of her as a graceful old woman, climbing the stairs of the Homestead to sit in her rocker and watch the sun set over the Mississippi River with tears streaming down her face just breaks my heart. What a life. What a woman. I can't wait to thank her.

4 comments:

Taralyn said...

Ditto Ditto Ditto

Laura said...

K, Does that mean that its my turn to read it? Are you coming back up anytime soon? If not, it's ok, I am doing great. I love you.

Jamie said...

LU, I totally want to come back, but I am fresh outta gas cash (which is why we didn't come yesterday). If I don't get up there this coming week, I will mail you the book to read. It's amazing. I am SO GLAD you are doing well...I prayed really hard that you would be! Maybe you'll be healthy enough for a lunch date with James and me!

Laura said...

Thanks James. I am doing really good, the only problem I am having isn't from my incisions. My bowels are being a pain in my arse....no punn intended.....OK yes it was. Other then that, Like I said, I am driving Darrin crazy cuz I want to be up and moving. I think I made him mad this AM cuz I made my own breakfast...lol Love ya sista. Did you get the christmas list figured out?

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...