Sunday, November 01, 2009

Weekend Retrospect

We had a wild good Halloween this year. This is the first year that all of my kids are old enough to get into the festivities & trick-or-treat independently, so it was fun for me, too! We try to stay away from 'scary' costumes, but I'm all for a cute witch or mummy. I try to think of FUN costumes (like Strawberry Shortcake and Apple Dumplin'--remember that?), and this summer while reading a Dr. Seuss book, we realized that these costumes would be perfect...Here's our gang heading out Friday night to the ward carnival/ trunk-or-treat
(which has morphed into a door-to-door inside the church, which we don't like as much, even though the weather outside is usually horrible).
Cutest Cat in the Hat ever.

Thing One & Thing Two
(trying to do the pose from the post below)

Owning this partay...

Hugging our beloved Aunt Debbie

Our darling niece, Hannah the monkey

Our other darling niece, Rosalie Robot
(her mommy made this costume last week--cute, huh?)
The kids had a blast at the carnival and we came home, watched The Great Pumpkin again (while munching on Cholula pumpkin seeds), and were all in bed before 9pm.
***
On Saturday, we did our chores in the morning, then got dressed up for Aunt Angie's awesome Halloween Party in the afternoon (across the street). Angie and Davy made their garage into a fabulous party place, full of fun activities, delicious food, and spooky decorations. The kids had a blast!
Cake ball EYE BALLS!
Hermione helps herself to some veggies and eye balls.

The kids made Gak and iced sugar cookies (above)

They also got their hands tied for the donut-on-a-string game
(this is Cousin Danny, 'the army guy' on the right, with his army friend)

Uncle Davy does the taping...
and Heidi/Thing Two wins the donut game!

Cat/ James played the mummy game

So did Thing One and Hermione

Even Grandma Rosalie joined in the fun, making Robot Rosalie into a mummy!
At 4pm, Heidi went to another fun party. Her "Kindergarten BFF," Chloe, hosted a fun party at her house. Heidi says she had a great time with her school friends. I picked her up at 6pm for...

TRICK OR TREATING!

We went to see Aunt Debbie, Ad's teacher, Mrs. Meador, and then down Grandma's street.
Here is Mr. Phillips (looking kinda spooky himself)--he and Mrs. Phillips were happy to see our kids (his wife was Addie's teacher last year) and said they are coming to Addie's baptism!


Our last stop was Grandma's house! She's the best!

We were home by 7:30pm and had to wash the girls' hair several times to get the blue out for church on Sunday! Poor Heidi got very sick (103-degree fever with a little cough) that night, but everyone else slept pretty well. I took the 2 kids to church today and Rich stayed home to nurse Heidi. I wasn't feeling very great, but had promised to sub in Addie's class and lead the Primary music, so I went. It was a fun day. Normally I am bitter about daylight saving time (read HERE) but this year, "fall back" couldn't have come on a better day!

We wish you all a wonderful, grateful November!

7 comments:

Laura said...

So cute. James, you are a trooper. I took Jared cuz Darrin wasn't feeling good (he had a temp over 100). I was hurting by the time we got home.

Strupp Family said...

I know, I know. I will update SOON. But I'm SO sorry you weren't feeling well and then had to teach AND do singing time...for an extra long time :) I'm sure you would've put your true feelings on here had I not been a regular visitor to your blog. I'm really sorry though. But you're a LIFE SAVER. So thanks. And you're an amazing music leader/chorister. I learn so much when I watch you in action!

Jamie said...

Lulu--BUSTED! you better get back to bed and rest up (and eat the candy while your'e at it)!

Kim--My true feelings ARE that it was a fun day! I really did have fun teaching the music and the CTRs today! I am glad I went. As you'll soon realize, feeling like poo from October -May is my norm. So I judge on a scale of 1-10, 1 being "an advil and an emergen-C and I'm good to go" and 10 being "Imminent death / hospitalization", and if I'm 1-3, I keep on truckin'. Also, I learned last week that HF often will help me to have just enough energy to do Primary, then I crash adn feel yucky the rest of the week. Luckily, this afternoon I napped with Heidi and felt good when I woke up, so I feel doubly blessed for coming today, Not to mention the great testimony mtg and gettting to hang with YOU! ;)PS: I learned how to be a good chorister from Debbie Holm--she's magical!

Aim said...

awww that is such a great idea! what great costumes! Tell me why you didn't like the door to door thing in the church. It sounded like it might be nicer than the truck or treat we do only because of the weather but i want to know the down sides before I suggest it for next year.

Jamie said...

I guess I just like how the trunk-or-treat feels more like trick-or-treat cuz you're out in the wilds, but safe, ya know? I guess the door-to-door thing isn't so bad...they just had families sign up to decorate a doorway & table, and then they just passed out candy from there, and the youth did a spook alley at the "end of the block." so fun! Can't wait 2C pix of your kids--Heidi asked if it was Halloween at Jake's house, too--so cute!

Rushton's said...

LOVING the Halloween costumes. You make a fellow halloween lover proud. your party looked great too. Looks like fun times, I might steal some of your ideas for next years' party.

Cannwin said...

Victoria was Hermione for Halloween too. It was a very easy costume. I love your idea though! Maybe next year I'll make the kids do that. Doubtful though, they have minds of their own.

And Angie's little ones have gotten so big! I can't believe Rosalie, wow.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...