Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Quick Update

We are finally home. I am a useless lump of sadness and sinus infection today!

I've had some questions about the exact medical situations of Grampy and Mom, so here's what I know:

Grandpa was sick for a few weeks and didn't tell anyone. On Saturday, March 27th, my brother went to take him out to lunch for his birthday (his 85th bday was March 29th), and found him in bed (unheard of), unshaven (even LESS heard of) and ill. Grandma had called my uncles to come bless him. They did, and then they called the paramedics, who took his vitals and whisked him away to the hospital. He was diagnosed with bleeding ulcers, but then when they did the UGI scan, they found lymphoma in his spleen, pancreas, and kidneys, and found him to be in borderline renal failure (this was last Friday, 4/2--they gave him a few days to week to live). After some debate, he chose to do a round of chemotherapy, though the doctors admit there is no precedent for successful treatment of an 85-year-old. Each day last week, he had a different drug with a different reaction, and his kidneys have pulled through (barely) without dialysis. It has been a rollercoaster ride, the doctors saying he's well enough to go home tomorrow, then saying he's crashing for one reason or another. I kept thinking of that 70s TV theme song--"Just take it like it comes: one day at a time." Poor little Grandma...sigh...poor BOTH OF THEM!

My mom is still a little anemic and weak, and still has blood clots in her lungs. She is on oxygen and taking a rituximab/prednisone infusion each week (Thursdays). She is with a new doctor at the Huntsman Cancer Center now and I think she will get the help she needs to get better. Mark and the kids are holding up well. My sister who is in recovery for opioid addiction seems to be doing better, too, and got to spend some time with Grandpa this week. Hopefully this experience will be a catalyst for a season of better things, progress, hope, improvement, for all involved. Onward, ever onward, y'all.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I love ya, James and I am praying for some blue skies....things can only go up from here, right??
Stay strong...and please call me if ya need something. I am glad I got to see tonight and bring you a bit of spring...hugs!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...