Thursday, December 23, 2010

So God Imparts to Human Hearts...


Overnight Monday and into Tuesday morning, I was terribly sick. I could barely lift my head, I had thrown up so much I pulled muscles and my throat hurt. There were so many lovely Christmas things I wanted to be doing. By noon, I was feeling really sorry for myself and I laid in bed crying. Then I noticed on my nightstand the gift my friend Debbie had given me the night before. It's the book, "In The Dark Streets Shineth" by David McCullough. I decided to watch the enclosed DVD and it really lifted my spirits. It was so beautiful!



That's only PART of the performance--the other part talks about the song, "I'll Be Home For Christmas", the biggest song of 1942. One thing that struck me is how short and sweet WWII seems now, after being at war for nine years. Not that it wasn't horrible, or even MORE horrible in a lot of ways, but it's just a different perspective than the one I had when I first studied WWII in high school. I was also so moved by the faithful, inspiring words from FDR adn Churchill that Christmas. It would be so lovely to be unified as a nation, to gather together on New Year's Day and ask God to forgive us of our failings and bless us in our endeavors in the new year. Here's a sweet bit from Churchill to ponder this Christmas Eve:

"Here, in the midst of war, raging and roaring over all the lands and seas, creeping nearer to our hearts and homes, here, amid all the tumult, we have tonight the peace of the spirit in each cottage home and in every generous heart. Therefore we may cast aside for this night at least the cares and dangers which beset us, and make for the children an evening of happiness in a world of storm. Here, then, for one night only, each home throughout the English-speaking world should be a brightly-lighted island of happiness and peace.

"Let the children have their night of fun and laughter. Let the gifts of Father Christmas delight their play. Let us grown-ups share to the full in their unstinted pleasures before we turn again to the stern task and the formidable years that lie before us, resolved that, by our sacrifice and daring, these same children shall not be robbed of their inheritance or denied their right to live in a free and decent world.

"And so, in God's mercy, a happy Christmas to you all."

Know what? My home DOES feel like a brightly-lighted isalnd of happiness and peace. Yay that.

Here's another sweet bit I wanted to share with you. We got a card from Cousin Steven serving in the Oregon Portland mission. He has no way of knowing, but last week I posted on facebook how I felt that there is no better place or way to celebrate Christmas than as a missionary, a full-time representative of Christ, with His name on your chest and His Spirit in your heart and His angels round about you! Steven shared a corrollary thought: "I figured out why missions are so fun...because they're like Christmas! The best part of Christmas is remembering Jesus Christ and the other best part is serving other people. I get to do that full-time, so it's like Christmas every day for two years!" Awwww.

So have fun remembering and serving this Christmas! I am so grateful for loving family and Christlike friends who lift my burdens, who give my life meaning and bring Christ's love into my life every day.

2 comments:

AuntieM said...

Thanks for making my Christmas just so sweet. I was able to give Mom one of the books on Dad's life and we just cried together softly as she turned each page. It was really wonderful listening to Dad read the 4th wise man once again. It really strengthened my testimony that he is just TDY and working hard on a new assignment and we will be together again soon as we accomplish that what the Lord has for us to do. Thank you!!!

Jamie said...

Oh, Auntie! Thank YOU for making MY holiday season so sweet! It was so good and healing for me to spend time with you and Gram over Thanksgiving, to begin the Christmas season with you, and to know that our family is forever and we will be together again and it will be like this everyday. YAY that. Good luck on your mission...I can't believe it's just a few days away!!! I will miss you so much, but I am so excited for you to have the experience! XOXO

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...