Saturday, January 08, 2011

Elvis Everywhere, and an update.

I've been having a bit of an Elvis revival since I saw him on Colbert a couple of months ago, then he popped up hosting Piano Jazz on npr (and I never listen to THAT show), so indulge me as I post the first Elvis video I ever saw, back in 1983. I've been thinking of this particular video ever since Will & Kate got engaged. I am so enamoured of the clever lyrics (typical of Elvis) and the snarky (fortelling?) video, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that this music all happened nearly 30 years ago. WHAT? I know I sound elderly when I say it but I must: in many ways, it seems like yesterday. I swear. Dig if you will:



Favorite lines:
"Your dreamboat turns out to be a footnote"

"Even in a perfect world where everyone was equal
I'd still own the film rights and be working on the sequel"

Ah, so fun.
***

So this has been a pretty ho-hum, post-holiday week. It was exciting and & comforting to see our baby boy on Tuesday, then I did the Young Women's Personal Progress activity on Wednesday, PTO on Thursday, and went out to check on the ranch house remodel on Friday night (the upstairs s already gutted and so. much. BETTER!). Also this week, our friends The Claar's lost their Grandma's house in a huge fire. I blabbed about it on facebook, but you can click HERE to go to Jen's blog to read the story and see the pictures.

I've been thinking a lot about my auntie and uncle (Marti & Ralph Mayberry) who entered the MTC on Monday to go to Ukraine Kiev and other Balkan states as Missionary Medical directors. I can't wait to hear how it's going. James and I bought tickets to fly to Arizona and visit with Aunt Lisa, Grandma Lyn, Uncle Sam, Aunt Kristen, and cousin Owen for a week (1/21-1/28). This coming week, Uncle Mark & cousin Jared are coming to visit us from Texas and work on the ranch house, and Uncle Jess will pop in from Florida for a bit, too, so we only had a short post-holiday lull.

The ranch house is going to be a fantastic project over the spring...I may start a remodeling blog just to keep the rest of the fam posted on our progress (I thought making decisions between the two of us was tough when we built our house---try doing it with 10 people all over the country, a few of whom are not quite on the same page--this otta be fun!)

So more soon, k? Have a peaceful sabbath, y'all!

No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...