Sunday, March 18, 2012

Eleven

My Hubs, The Dashing (albeit much younger) Richard Melin




Dear Hubs,

It’s been a month since our 11th anniversary, but you know how crazy the past month or two has been, so I don’t have to explain why I’m a month late wishing you a Happy Anniversary, right?

I’ve just been thinking about how when we got married, it was a huge act of faith, since I didn’t know you very well. Luckily, I’d learned to stop leaning to my own understanding and go with my gut most of the time, so I said YES. Best. Idea. EVER. I remember when we were engaged I told you that you were the first person I’d dated whom I liked more and more everyday rather than less and less (granted this has a lot to do with youthful idealism I was finally shedding at 29, but I digress…). I realize now, looking back on 11 years together that I was right, but I had NO IDEA how wonderful you are.

I had no idea what a wretched pregnant person I would be. I had no idea what kind of emotional rollercoasters our extended families and our children would send us on. I had no idea that that the world would change in an instant 7 months after our wedding, and with it the economy, our career paths, and all our future plans. I had no idea that I would swap my health for four wonderful kids and that I would have to lean on you so very much.

Fortunately, God DID know all that. He gave me you—my “helpmeet-and-exceed,” my rock, my constant, hilarious friend.

I knew you were good with kids, but I had no idea you’d almost be a better mom than I am. I love that you love our kids, that you can’t think of anything more fun than being with us, planning memories and experiences for us, being kind and calm when I am losing my patience, and being firm when I’m ready to cave. I feel so lucky that we are your only real hobby and priority. I love that you never ignore us for a TV show or a game or work. I love how excited you get about surprises. I love that you spend a little time with each kid every night and you’re happy to do it because, as you remind me regularly, “Soon they won’t want to talk and snuggle, and then they’ll be gone. I’ve gotta take every opportunity!” Best dad ever.

I knew you were tech-savvy and a handy man, but I had no idea that you could fix or build ANYTHING. I love that you built our house and half the furniture in it. I love that when I have a vision for the house, you find a way to make it happen. I love that, even on our tight budget, you are clever enough to find a way to give our family every comfort—organized craft supplies, more room to play wii, air conditioning, a functioning dryer for almost free, a convenient kitchen garden, a place to store bikes, a faster computer for free, a fast way to scan slides and store memories, spectacular family vacations on very little money, just to name a few. I had no idea you were such a genius, but I LOVE IT.

I knew you were a kind and gentle person, but I had no idea the depths of your patience. Nor did I imagine how incredibly silly you could be. As I mentioned before, we have been through the ringer in ways we could never have foreseen. I am not proud of the ways I dealt with the disappointments. But you never stooped to fighting or blaming or kicking against the pricks. You keep your eye on the prize, step over the mess, and keep on truckin’. Thank you for not engaging when I pick a fight. Thank you for forgiving me for being nutty as a fruitcake and still letting me raise our kids and run our home. You’re rubbing off on me, you know. I don’t know if it’s showing yet, but I do feel much more peaceful than a decade ago. And that’s mostly because you’ve shown me that every little thing is indeed gonna be all right.

Thank you for saving me from myself. I love you more everyday, still. I’m so glad I married you — good call.




Love, J



7 comments:

Tom Holladay said...

I love him and I don't even know him!

Anonymous said...

I love him too...and you Jamie. You lucky dear sweet cousin.

I love what you wrote to him, he is very lucky as well. I send your family good thoughts of peace and happiness.

Anonymous said...

Not Anonymous, love Monaca.

Michael and Amber said...

Jamie! That is so tender! Michael and I just love you two and are grateful for your excellent example of an eternal relationship! We love the Melin's

Anonymous said...

Jamie, incredible post! You are a wonderful woman who deserves such a MAN. I hope you don't mind, but I love your husband too. He is a great example of a father and friend. Congrats on 11 short years!

Matt S.

Jamie said...

Thanks, guys. Stoker, you're the best and we hope you've found the happiness you deserve, too! Who would have imagined all life had in store when you guys came home from BYUH? Not me! But we're grateful for our friendship with you--we loved seeing you guys last year and can't wait to get together again.

Rich said...

Awwww garrrrsh (blushing) I love you so much! Here is to forever!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...