Friday, November 04, 2005

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginning's End

Remember that song? I just had a little "ending" of my own; I am only writing this because I would like to have read something like it yesterday, to know what was coming, and if you don't want to hear the details, it's okay to stop reading now.

After we called the key family members (including Uncle Doctor to decode what-the-freak the nurse was telling me) and got the kids to bed, Richard and I went to bed and snuggled up. I still felt very much like it was the first day of a regular period--not much bleeding, a little lower back discomfort, the occasional quirky pelvic pain. I felt a little cold and shaky and my Sacrum was achy (the joints on both sides). I finally got comfortable and fell asleep, afraid of what kind of nightmares I might have (I didn't dream at all).

I got up to pee a few times, each time accompanied by a little more blood, but nothing too serious. The cramps/contractions picked up at 4am and I got a tall glass of water and 2 Tylenol and went back to bed. I tucked several pillows under my knees to tilt my pelvis back and relieve my lower back (that's where I always feel my contractions) and fell back to sleep (even with a squirmy, whiny visit from Heidi).

At 6:20AM, I was awakened by a warm woosh of fluid that swept up my lower back. I jumped out of bed as fast as I could and gathered my baggy pj bottoms around my waist. As I ran up the stairs, the warmth traveled down my legs and I reached the bathroom, narrowly averting disaster. What happened next was not unlike a trap door effect-- I sat down and painlessly "lost a load." I shouldn't say painlessly, because it was emotionally painful, but it didn't hurt my body. I was shocked at the quantity of fluid just flowing out, sort of like when you stop to pee on a roadtrip and you think to yourself, "Wow--I had no idea my bladder was that big!" When the torrent finally stopped I felt faint and just waited to gather my wits. I started running a hot bath and turned around to see what had just happened. The blood was so thick, the water did not dilute it--it looked pretty horrific. But I knew my body had done its job.

It took me a minute to flush because I knew that what I had considered "our baby brother" until a few days ago was in there. But I finally did it and climbed into the tub. By body began to relax and I felt better after only a few minutes. I looked at the 4 bruises on my arms from all the blood work and wondered if it had been worth it to worry all week. I concluded that it HAD-- even though I began spotting before the conclusive results came back, I had been able to prepare mentally, emotionally, and spiritually for this experience, whereas if I had just gone and had a totally normal doctor visit one Friday, and then had this horrible experience the next, I would have been pretty traumatized. I thought of all my friends & family who have gone through this several times in their struggles with infertility-- I felt waves of sisterly empathy and wanted to send out (belated) long distance hugs.

I feel okay now. It has been about 30 minutes. Everyone is silently sleeping and the sun is rising and that song I quoted is running through my head---every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

***
Update: Friday morning was very much like labor for me, with the cramping, etc. I only bled heavily and consistently on Friday, then spurts of heavy beeding on Saturday and Sunday, and occasional spotting and weak abdominal pain on Monday & Tuesday. By Wednesday I was merely exhausted, and Thursday found out I am anemic (surprise, surprise). The following Friday I felt good--with enough energy to take care of my home and family and with renewed spiritual and emotional strength, too. As I said to a friend--and it sounds kind of silly-- but if you have to have a miscarriage, this was a good one to have: early in the pregnancy, natural, and relatively short, with lots of family and friend support and a little bit of warning. I hope this never happens to anyone who reads this, but if it does (or has), I hope these details helped. It's something no one talks about because it is so emotional and private, but I wanted to know about other people's experiences to give me a "heads up"--that's why I have shared mine.

13 comments:

Carla said...

Postie, I'm so sorry. I'm glad that you are doing better though. I miscarried 3 years before I got pregnant with Sarah, and I echo your sentiments: "If I can never have another baby, I'm blessed beyond measure with the two girls that I have." I think you'll have another one though, and when you do you'll think that THAT was the perfect time. Hugs!

cmhl said...

oh girl, I'm so sorry. this is so hard.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jamie, I am so sorry to read about this,I am at work right now and am sitting at my desk crying for you. Be strong and hug the two BEAUTIFUL girls you have with you. You and Rich are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you guys so much and I cant wait to see you next month.Love Lisaree

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jamie, I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you--bless you for being strong. Much love and hugs to you.

Jenn said...

Hey girl I am so sad for you. Just know that it is all part of His plan. As crazy as we may think it is.We are praying for you...I love you! Jenn

Anonymous said...

I don't know you except through reading your blog and don't even remember how I found your site but I've been reading since you first found out you may be going to have another child. I am so sorry this happened. I never could have a child, but do have one - thanks to a young girl who chose adoption vs. abortion. So while I've never gone through your experience, I do feel for you and the disappointment. You are stilll young and maybe things will work out for you. Hugs to you and your family.

Laura said...

James, I can't really see through the tears, but know That I love you so much and I know this was and is a hard thing to go through. I miss you so much, I wish I was there to give you a hug. Kiss Rich and the girls for me. XOXOXOXOXO

Jamie said...

Thanks, all of you, for your kind comments--they felt like hugs yesterday and really helped.

Nina--HI, thaks for "de-lurking"- your comment was so nice and I think it's great that you adopted a child. My sister gave up a baby 13 years ago this week and I still think it's the bravest thing I've ever seen anyone do, especially now that i have had a baby myself.

I am feeling much better today (SAT), and I think the proces is winding up. I think I said two weeks ago I could never handle a miscarriage, and--OMG--I just did. And all is well, really. That's so cool.

Thanks again, yall. New post soon.

Saramajayne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Saramajayne said...

OH Jamie I am so sorry. I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. I just want you to know that I love you with all my heart. I feel that all my troubles are nothing compared to this. I wouldn't be able to haddle it. You are a very storng women and I am so honored to call you my sister. I thank you for all the support that you gave me in my time of need. If you need anything please don't hessitate to call me. I have a very good listening ear. I love you . Love sara

Laura said...

Wow...can you believe it's been 13 years...Jake is growing up so fast! I sure do miss him! I love you James.

Geo said...

Jamie, I love you so much and believe in you. My heart is breaking for you and Rich. What a hard time in your life, my sweet friend. I sure picked a rotten time to fall behind again in my blog-reading. I'm sorry I didn't know about what has been going on sooner--but my prayers and thoughts and long-distance hugs will be with you from here on out. I will lkeep you ever so close in my heart, and hope that you will take good care of yourself and rest, body and mind, when you need to. You're a beautiful woman, in every way, and such an example of love and faith and perseverence. I pray that you'll be surrounded by bright angels, earthly and otherwise, to comfort and protect you. I'm glad that it was at least relatively painless and fast physically, even though it was a horribly rude experience. I hope that when you need to grieve that you will let yourself do so freely, without self-recrimination. This isn't linear stuff. As for the dream you shared with me, it sounds like fear and longing and hope and frayed nerves and frazzled hormones all stirred up together. It sounds normal to me, though awfully hard to endure. I hope you will be kind to yourself and take life slowly and gently. It's easy to make the mistake of racing for "normal" and "proper" balance, and damage yourself in the attempt. It's okay if you don't feel like a fun mom. It's okay if you do. It's okay if you can't predict what's coming next. I hope you will feel good about neglecting perfectionism, at least for a while. You are so good and so true, and I know you will come away from all this pain better and stronger. I wish I could give you a big squeeze right now. I love you. Please give my love to Rich and the girlies too. I'm praying for you all. Thanks for the heads-up.

Anonymous said...

Melin family,
Matthew and I are sorry for you loss. It's hard. It feels good to look forward to the future though, as uncertain as it is. :) Maybe we'll have babies at the same time! They'd have to be buddies! Physical and emotional hugs are the best, huh. Love you guys. Love, Matthew and Maren

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...