Thursday, November 17, 2005

Just Call Me Molly

This week I feel like I became a full-fledged MORMON WOMAN (aka Molly Mormon)! Really, it was nothing monumental, but I called Monday afternoon to check on a girl I visit teach (she doesn't come to church, but she is so sweet and always happy to see us), who was supposed to have had a baby over the weekend. Turns out, she was already home so I asked her if I could bring her dinner the next night and maybe babysit her 2-year-old sometime this week. She was thrilled about both prosepcts, so Tuesday I cooked up two special dinners--one for my family and one for hers.

But there are two things I did that I have never done before: (1) I made an enchilada casserole in one of those disposable foil pans (CASSEROLE? DISPOSEABLE?? I know!!!) and (2) for a side dish I totally made a JELLO SALAD! NO JOKE! Of course it wasn't green with shredded carrots (no way, no day)--it was peach with raspberries and whipped cream on top--BUT STILL!! I even had chocolate chip banana bread for dessert. It's really shocking that I can prepare such a meal. I just kept thinking to myself, Man, you are such a grandma.

But that's a good thing because all my grandmas are AWESOME.

Anyway, I just have felt so incredibly grateful this month for the sisterhood of the Relief Society at church. All of the time I spent attending and learning and serving over the past 16 years has come back to me tenfold lately and I feel really blessed. Here is another comment I left On Bright Street:

This past month the Relief Society has realy lived up to its name for me. Our sisterhood literally saved me the past few weeks, especially that fateful Friday when I was home alone and felt so lonely and scared. I've never been good about asking for help and I tend to hide when I can't put on a happy face. But, oh, it felt so good to cry--really cry--on the shoulders of my surrogate moms and sisters who had been in my shoes and knew just what I needed. What would normally have been a very quiet, very painful burden I would carry alone became something a little bit lighter, something that, instead of breaking me to pieces, bonded us all together. I will be eternally grateful for them and for all the small things that really make us a society and bring us such sweet relief.

5 comments:

Geo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Geo said...

[Thought I'd spell-check this time. I never had "bug surgery".]

If Kate Bush was LDS, her lyrics would sound more like: "Jello . . . stands for comfort."

I am thinking now of when I came home after my big surgery a couple years ago and for--what, was it nearly a week straight?--different women brought me some version of creamy chicken every single night. Near the end of that calorific comfort food streak I was teetering on the edge of a breakdown, and once I really did cry when more creamy chicken showed up. But you know what? I felt loved. Bring it on. Bring on the casserole love. I spent a whole day making HOMEMADE TORTELLINI for an out-of-commission lady and her family once, when I was newly married and way too idealistic and OCD for my own good. I got over it the same day. Casseroles are also about loving ourselves, not just others. Ditto jello. The choco-chip banana bread? Well, that's just Christian charity!

Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. I have a friend who always tells me, I suspect because she senses I didn't always believe this, that "women need women." It's true.

Love you, James.

Happy Gilmores said...

I still think the meal you made for us was better!

Happy Gilmores said...

p.s. Don't use that fudge sauce Page made for you... throw it out!!! UGH

dscokween said...

If I lived closer, I would have brought some potatoes au gratin, or as we call them at my house, "old rotten potatoes". There's nothing like relief society comfort food!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...