Thursday, December 01, 2005

Shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather

snuggle bugs...14 months ago!

I'll give you a dime if you can tell me where the title of this post comes from...seriously, you should stop lurking around my blog and start commenting, folks.

But back to the shiver in my bones. Let me quote weather.com right this minute: 6 degreesF, feels like -9 (that's MINUS!), with light snow, winds from ENE at 12 mph (which is like NO wind here in Livingston where it averages 40mph any given day), and the humidity is 85%.

All I can say is I am glad to be IN the house, not BUILDING it this winter! The ranchers say it's gonna be a hard one.

While we were all pent up today, I did 2 loads of laundry, made crock pot beef stew and wheat bread for dinner, and a delicious Aroz con Leche (rice pudding). It's one of my favorite recipes and I love you so much, I'm going to share it with you.

Arroz con Leche
From Dora the Explorer
7c milk
1 ½ c sugar
1T cinnamon
1t nutmeg
1c converted rice
1 egg
2 egg yolks
1T vanilla
½ t salt
½ c raisins (optional—or mixed dried fruit)

§ Boil milk over high heat; stir in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg. Reduce heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Add rice and salt, cover pot, and simmer 45 min.
§ In a mixing bowl, whisk egg, yolks, and vanilla. Remove rice from heat and add egg mixture slowly; return to heat and stir for 3 minutes.
§ Remove from heat; add raisins or fruit; pour into bowl (s) and cool in the refrigerator.


...a cheap, yummy, comfort food to share with a loved one while you snuggle out the storm.

11 comments:

Happy Gilmores said...

Hey Im not lurking, I comment. Sounds cold. Yep, remember those days. The rice pudding sounds good. Page doesn't care for it so we never eat it. But it does sound good for a wintery day. I feel bad for those cows out in the storm. I bet its fun trying to drive around town. Aren't you glad you have all that extra room for the kids to play? Especially that cool closet/playhouse under the stairs. Stay warm.

Happy Gilmores said...

Jaime, I saw potted rosemary trees at Sam's Club here in Lufkin. Maybe Costco has them too? But Sam's is owned by WalMart, so maybe that is a good place to check.

Jamie said...

That's about the right year, Michelle, but not the right song. Man, I love that song, though--I heard teh Simon & Garfunkle version around HAlloween listening to the oldies station in the car. It felt like I was on a movie. KEEP GUESSING. Here's more: "Do I need someone here to scold me or do I need someone who'll grab and pull me out of this four-poster dull torpor pulling downward."

Anonymous said...

When I first read the title, I was like, "Oh! Oh! I know that one! It's...uhhhh....Oh! 10,000 Maniacs!" You can keep the dime, though. :)
I don't know how I came across your blog but I love it! Maybe because there are many things I relate to, including the current freezing, snowy weather since I'm in Billings! So, hello Jamie from a lurker!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you should be proud of me, I knew it was 10,000 maniacs. They always remind me of you. Especially "Trouble Me", That day we had that good talk and we listened to the song together really stands out in my memory. I love you and you're still mbf. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie I Love the picture of you cute kids. We are at a kind of toasty 68 degrees here in Phoenix. I also knew that song was from 10,000 maniacs.I LOVE AND MISS YOU GUYS. SEE YOU IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.LOVE LISA REE..

Brooks Brown said...

I knew exactly where that title was from the minute I saw it. We have actually been feeling the same way the past couple of days in Alabama. Instead of sweet babies I have had a couple of sweet tabby cats. They are good snuggle bugs too.

Laura said...

Ok, I knew that song, seeing how we grew up in the same house! I am freezing right along with you and I'm about 3,000 miles away! I love you and miss you tons!!!

Gye Greene said...

Found your blog while Googling for an image of a Clydesdale.

Anyone who quotes Natalie Merchant lyrics must be a good person. :)

--GG

cmhl said...

I'm not sure about the quote/??

7 cups milk??? that is a LOT of milk!! I am goign to take your word for it, and try this one though. any recipe recommended by Dora has to be a good one, right?? sounds good!

and, btw, we have almost identical comforters!

Carla said...

Cute picture Jamie! I can't read that headline without hearing the tune! I'm so glad you have your home this winter -we bought ours in December (02) and got the fireplace working immediately to snuggle next to.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...