Friday, February 10, 2006

With Dread

As I was driving past Sacajawea Park the other day, I noticed how frayed and faded the yellow ribbons on the trees had become. I remember 3 years ago when I drove that way every day and the ribbons were shiny and new and we thought this war with Iraq would be like the last one and what a great Independence Day parade we could have in July when all these heroes came home. Then all their pictures and flags and mementos posted by their loved ones at home got sunbleached and windblown and old, and some still weren't home. It's three years later and everything is a mess and people are still driving oversized cars, complaining about gas prices, criticizing the government, and forgetting about the hundreds of soldiers from thousands of little towns like ours with families who wait on edge and fervently pray for their return.

My little brother has been officially ordered to Baghdad for 15 months starting this June (read about it here). His second little baby is due this week and his darling wife is trying so hard to be tough. I make no bones about being a wimp and I have been crying all afternoon. We knew it was coming but somehow assumed that something would happen to make it not so, to keep him home and safe. Even now, I just keep thinking something has to happen, something will happen, he won't go, he can't go....It's like when Sam got called to serve as a missionary in Columbia and while he was in training, missionaries were shot in Bogota. I prayed he wouldn't have to go and he got an illness (allergy?) that kept him stateside and he didn't have to go to Bogota---he went to Chicago instead. I know it's unlikely this time and it will be a huge test for all of us to say goodbye to Matt and to pray him home safely. I just can't believe the war has come so close to home.

UPDATE: Monday--Mom tells me that Matt will have to leave in April, when the baby is only 6 weeks old. POOR AMIE! Dang the stinkin' Army! When I told Sam about Matt having to leave, Sam said, "I'll come up there and poke his eye out so he'll be half deaf AND half blind...then they won't make him go!" That made me laugh, but just for a minute. There is still a big fat sadness around here that makes February even suckier than normal.

4 comments:

Happy Gilmores said...

People like Matt are the real heroes and the families that are here supporting and praying for them. Hang in there.

Aim said...

Awe see, you just shouldn't talk about stuff like this when you are prego. Way too many hormones for me! Thank you so much for what you said. You guys are amazing. I don't know what I would do without a good family support system here.

amie

Brooks Brown said...

I am sorry to hear about this. I know how scary this must be for the entire family and especially with a brand new baby on the way. He is a brave man and lucky to have such a supportive loving family.

Laura said...

Ok, the update really sucks! I will have the biggest yellow bow on my tree in the front yard and my flag will always be displayed!!!!! I love you. xoxoxo

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...