Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Blogging under the influence (BUI)

I am so tired, I worry how this post will turn out, but I had to comment on The Daily Show tonight. One of the long-standing issues between my "dream-boyfriend" Jon Stewart (host of the Daily Show) and me is his willingness to repeat and reinforce liberal stories & stereotypes. One of the stories he swallowed suprisingly willingly was the "There are no WMDs in Iraq" thing.

It was funny to watch him squirm tonight when he interviewed Georges Sada, a former general in the Iraqi Air Force under Saddam, who just published the book, "Saddam's Secrets." In the book, Sada shares first-hand knowledge of the transportation of WMDs and nuclear materials to Syria. Jon Stewart reacted to this news (which for the American left is earth-shattering--it's the basis of all the anti-Bush business) by first insinuating that Sada was confused and thinking of the 1990's, then practically accused him of lying ("I won't hug you as hard if you're lying to me"). JS even asked GS how he knew that, and GS answered, "Because I was second in command of the Iraqi Air Force" (um, duh). Why would he lie? And what's so surprising about the weapons being in Syria? That border was open well after the US invaded--who knows how many criminals, Bath party officials, AND WMDs are hiding there?

Although some of the information that Colin Powell presented to the UN (by the way, I watched that presentation live and took notes, people!) was later debunked or diluted, I never doubted that crazy SOB had weapons of mass detruction. Anyone with half a brain would realize he had over a year to truck that stuff out of there when he realized that George Bush was SO not kidding about the War on Terror (Saddam had from our invasion of Afghanistan in October 2001 until our troops reached Baghdad in April 2003 to mess around with his weapons and the inspectors).

I guess what's so frustrating to me is that it's so easy to know (or even guess) the truth if you follow history and patterns and news stories. When I turned on the TV the morning of September 11, 2001, the first words out of my mouth were "Osamam bin Laden"--it's true, you can ask my husband. I knew who had done it, and not because I am some scholar or spy. It's common knowledge, and it was coming for 20 years! Likewise, for awhile, every time I heard somebody talk about the "hunt for WMDs," I would yell at the TV, "Look in Syria!" Again--I don't study the middle east or know much about politics, but it was OBVIOUS. I mean, Saddam was a lunatic and a meglomaniac, but he wasn't stupid. He knew we were coming and he covered his trail.

OKay--I took a whole unisom istesd of a half tonight ond my eyes are now crossing...I hope this is coherent adn I hope my lefty friends won't cry or hate me after reading it. I'm off to dream about Jon stewart and a host of other crazy things...maybe we;ll have a debate in my dreams!

PS: OB checkup today--I have not gained any weight, the baby's heart beat was crazy-strong at about 155 bpm, my bp is high (140/95), and they say the baby is about the size of a hamster now. Awww...

2 comments:

Jill Petersen said...

I knew I was missing a good one tonight when I looked at the clock and it was past 9:30 and I forgot to watch! Dammit for not having tivo! I don't know why certain people aren't willing to see the obvious! I don't have much to add to your post but I appreciated reading it. ps. your typos are hilarious! That unisom worked!

Happy Gilmores said...

Liberals are so short sighted. Is the Syria connection so far fetched? Syria isn't our friend. In fact thier ruling party are the Baath- just like Sadam. But liberals cannot and will not consider the possibility because it legitimizes Bush's argument for war. So they bury their head in the sand and continue to call the Pres. a liar, a criminal. Unbelievable! And this is supposed to help keep our men and women safe in Iraq? (Let's turn this into another Vietnam people!) These anti-Bush liberals remind me of the King Men in the Book of Mormon and Captain Moroni had to deal with them first in order to fight the Lamanite enemy who was coming to destroy them. We ahve an enemy at out door too and look what is happening.

So they want us to pull out of Iraq, impeach Bush and this will make the Terrorists leave us alone? Don't think so. The terrorists killed 3000 innocent people in NYC. (Oh wait- the liberal teacher in CO taught his students they weren't innocent, they deserved it, we had CIA in the building... for the love of Pete!) And they are finding ties with Al Qaida and Sadam- just not a lot of main stream press on the matter. Oh please, don't get me started...

We need Captain Moroni right about now!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...