Thursday, April 27, 2006

RANDOM

We are leaving for Utah in mere minutes; Rich is doing a wedding and the girls and I are tagging along for some cousin fun, bargain shopping, temple square, etc. I am feeling almost normal today, so it's a nice day to go on a road trip (sans nausea).

I just have a few random thoughts. First--I really, really love Dole Whole Fruit Bars ("no sugar added"). I can't believe that sometimes I forget how good they are and don't buy them for my "treat." I was torn between a whole box of Coconut bars, or the mixed box of raspberry, strawberry, and tangerine-- I am glad I chose the mixed because I love all three--I had tangerine this morning and I am eating a strawberry now.

Here are some other random thoughts I have picked up lately, mostly from radio or TV.

California spends $10K/year per student in public school vs. $30K/year per prisoner in prison. 80% of inmates are High school drop outs. Do the math…just dollar-wise, doesn’t HS student retention seem like a good investment? How about no drivers licenses or full-time work permits for anyone under 18 or without a diploma? These are ideas I like, but I just wish education didn’t have to happen by coercion. Alas, if that’s what it takes…

A quote from an MSN article about “White Trash Chic”: “White trash still retains the associations of trailer parks, Camaros-up-on-blocks, screaming babies, unemployment, public drunkenness, lack of education or social skills — but not the social stigma.” Oh, really? So I guess I am living in the new fashion hot spot of the universe…well, the hottest place north of the Mason-Dixon line. And I am hoplessly OUT of style.

“A mother who radiates self-love and self-acceptance actually vaccinates her daughter against low self-esteem.” –Naomi Wolf

Wow. I could write a whole other post about that Naomi Wolf quote... it has made me think twice about all the things I say in front of my daughters--an ongoing subject in my self- and family-improvement efforts. Regardless of what I'd hope I'd be or how I wanted to look, or what I am good or not good at, I HAVE TO come to terms with WHO I AM RIGHT THIS MINUTE (and how I look, and what I do, etc.) so I can "vaccinate" them against all the crap girls fall for when they don't love themselves. Self-respect begins with me. (see this post for more about my ever-present concern for my daughters).

Okay, time to load up. Pictures and travel log coming soon.

No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...