Sunday, September 10, 2006

Bittersweet

So Friday morning I was enjoying my first morning at home with THREE kids, watching my cute boy make waking-up faces, when my mom came downstairs to hang out on my bed with me. The house was quietly a-buzz and I was feeling so relieved and thankful that James was with us, that mom was there, etc...

The phone rang and it was my brother, Matt, calling to tell me congratulations and to say good bye to mom.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"I am sitting on a bus at Fort McCoy, getting ready to fly to Ireland and then good ol' Tikrit..."

We continued to chat and then I passed the phone to my mom (who of course began to cry). I thought about how long we had been waiting for and dreading this very moment, and how weird it was that I was having this peaceful, joyful moment in my little Montana home and he was facing this...deployment.
For real.

I felt strangely at peace with Matt's situation, though, too, after all the crying about it earlier this year (especially when his own baby boy was born in February). Like I said in an earlier post, I just sing the prayer, Bring Him Home, to myself. I know he'll be okay.

That moment reminded me again how the things I treasure most in life and the most joyful moments always come at a price...someone else's Great Sacrifice. So once again, thank you. Thanks to Heavenly Father for all of it, and especially today, to the soldiers, their families, and others who make these quiet, peaceful moments full of love and home and family a given. Thank you, Matt.

You're in our prayers and always will be.

3 comments:

Jill Petersen said...

My favorite Matt story of last week came from Dad. He said he was down towm working on Friday and got the urge to eat so he stopped what he was doing and decided on Albertos. "This place is as good as any". He sat down to eat and in walked Matt and Amie with the boys. His eyes lit up and couldn't believe it! Matt said that they weren't there to eat. They had to stop somewhere to let Jake go potty. It just happened to be Albertos! Crazy! Although Dad knows it wasn't just a coincidence!

Aim said...

That means a lot to us Jamie, thanks. We miss you guys and think of you often.

love amie

Laura said...

I am so Happy that you got to talk to him. I missed his phone call by 20 min, but I have his sweet voice on the answering machine. I told the boys "NO ONE IS TO ERASE THIS MESSAGE!" I cried my eyes out until darrin got home, then I did it again. Kinda like I'm doing now, I'm trying to type through the tears. I love you guys and I can't wait to hold my big nephew!!!!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...