Thursday, January 17, 2008

Oops!



Last night I left James in Heidi's room to play for a minute while I went upstairs to tuck Addie in (Rich was at a 6pm meeting; I had a 7pm meeting, so we were going to switch off). Just as I got up stairs I heard James wail and I hear Heidi yell, "Mama! Bubby fell off the ladder!" and I suddenly realized the error of my ways. Although James still doesn't walk, he is perfectly proficient in climbing up and down the bunk bed ladder in the girls' room. HOWEVER, he usually does this barefoot, NOT in (slippery) footie pajamas.


When the realization struck me, I ran back down stairs and found my boy face down on the floor trying (and failing) to get up and crawl. I picked him up and started to console him. I put Heidi in bed with some books and headed upstairs to make James a bottle of milk and send Addie to bed. She got him a blanket and went to bed like a good girl. I knew something was wrong as I rocked him because when I moved a certain way he would whimper. I thought he might have hit his ribs or chest because his breathing was a little labored. At any rate, I could tell he was in some sort of pain, so I gave him a Tylenol Meltaway and handed him off to Rich at 7pm.


Rich put him to bed while I was gone and he was asleep when I got home at 8:30. By 9:30, he had awaken and I was letting him "cry it out," forgetting his earlier injury. Rich got up and reminded me he night be hurt, so we brought him to our bed. It was then we noticed something wrong on his right side. He could still move his fingers and raise his arm slightly, so it wasn't dislocated, but it was definitely hurting so I put on my coat and shoes with my PJs and we headed out tothe emergency room. Thankfully, we were the only ones there and we got speedy and kind service. The doctor checked him out and then brought in the radiologist on call (who was the same one who did my Radioactive Iodine Scan). They were all very nice and were quick to discover and fracture at the top of James' humerus, just under the growth plate--the SAME fracture Addie had in her left arm last spring! No joke! The doc said it was really rare and weird that I'd had TWO kids with it. I suggested they may have inherited their dad's glass bones and my poor coordination--a deadly mix!


So anyway, The Wee Bub has a fractured right humerus and has to wear a sling with his arm pinned or bandaged to his chest for a week or two. He is not so thrilled about being immobile (can't crawl with just one arm!), but is taking it like a champ. He was so sweet and smiley in the ER, people just kept coming by our room to see the sweet baby boy with the broken arm. His sisters are waiting on him like nurses, but we'll just see how long before Heidi starts trying to break his other arm (I'm sure she won't like him getting extra attention).


Other than that, we're all good!


My Awesome Family about two hours ago

7 comments:

Jill Petersen said...

When I talked to you this morning I felt so sad for bubby! He looks super happy in the pics but I can imagine it didn't feel so great falling like that! He's such a trooper. Love you bubby!

Brent said...

Well, hopefully his arm heals with super-tight tendons, that way he'll be able to throw a baseball like 120 miles per hour like that kid did in that one Disney movie.

Brooks Brown said...

poor baby! i love how's feeling well enough to ham it up for the camera.

Shoeaddict said...

Poor boy! My best friend's 3-yr-old broke his collarbone Tuesday. It's so sad. James is so adorable and I hope he gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

The poor little guy. What a great attitude he seems to have in the picture. And what a doll!

Anonymous said...

oh NO!!!!! poor bubbie!!!!

that must be a total drag to have his power crawling arm tied up.. bless his heart...

my bubbie broke his tibia (fibula? the smaller one) when he was two, had a bright orange cast.

The best (worst) part?? didn't take him in to the dr for a good 2 weeks. he wasn't complaining!!! he kind of started, hmmm, running funny... at least you went to the ER the same day!!!!


rotator cuff surgery for me on tuesday morning, cross fingers!

PS-- love your NYE post!

Cannwin said...

Hey, I always say, if they won't won't pin their arm to their side and give it a week! ;)

No, not really. But maybe this'll give him some of that much needed motivation!

Is this why you weren't at church today?

Hope he feels better.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...