Sunday, October 19, 2008

Heidi is Hilarious


Today at naptime as I programmed the DVR, a commercial came on Nickelodeon about kids voting in the presidential election.


Heidi: I'm going to pick John McCain.
Me: Why?
Heidi: Because he's better.
Me: Better at what?
Heidi: He has a cute name
Me: Hm. What else.
Heidi: He looks like Santa.
Me: Ya think?
Heidi: Without a beard.


***

Also, today I was sustained as Primary President (leader of about 40 kids) at church. This is the first time a calling has made me queasy--not because I hate it but because I feel the mantle, and I'm feeling a little Moses-ish about it.


However, today was the Primary Program (where the kids speak and sing in the main church meeting to share what they have learned so far in 2008) and my last day as chorister. It went really well, especially considering that (a) I missed all but one practice and (b) I had to open the program with President's remarks after being sustained for all of 10 minutes. Phew! You can bet I napped hard today!


Now Rich is gone to an Insurance Conference until Tuesday night and I'm wrangling the wee Melins on my own. I am hoping to get a handle on Primary this week (I am glad Stake Training Meeting is on Thursday) and have fun with my children in the gorgeous fall weather (it's 60 degrees!). What are your plans for the week?


***
PS: Here are some awesome quotes about children I used in my message today...


“We must be so careful in speaking to a child. What we say or don't say, how we say it and when is so very, very important in shaping a child's view of himself or herself. But it is even more important in shaping that child's faith in us and their faith in God. Be constructive in your comments to a child—always. Never tell them, even in whimsy, that they are fat or dumb or lazy or homely. You would never do that maliciously, but they remember and may struggle for years trying to forget—and to forgive…[P]lease know that your Father in Heaven loves you and so does His Only Begotten Son. When They speak to you—and They will—it will not be in the wind, nor in the earthquake, nor in the fire, but it will be with a voice still and small, a voice tender and kind.12 It will be with the tongue of angels. May we all rejoice in the thought that when we say edifying, encouraging things unto the least of these, our brethren and sisters and little ones, we say it unto God.”-Jeffrey Holland, April 2007

I am humbled and grateful for the opportunity to serve the children of our ward. I know that Heavenly Father will use them to teach me to be more like Jesus. And I will always strive to show His love to them, to bring them closer to Him. This is a sacred trust. As President Hinckley taught us,

"Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God and that yours is a custodial relationship to them, that He was a parent before you were parents and that He has not relinquished His parental rights or interest in these little ones. Now, love them, take care of them...welcome them into your homes and nurture and love them with all of your hearts.”


Speaking of fall...Rich and Me at the London Temple last month

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Well I thought your "presidential speech" was great...and so was the program. It was so nice watching (and hearing) the kids sing. Oh I miss Primary now...you're presidency ROCKS! Hey..just a thought, but I will already be in Bozo (heading over for the scrap retreat) but I'll be going to the training meeting..want to meet up for dinner?? Maybe some of the others would like to join us? Let me know.
Love ya girl,and I think you're pretty awesome too!

Becky said...

Congrats on your new calling! You'll be sooo fabulous.

Happy Gilmores said...

Awesome calling! Are you still doing the Ward newsletter? Could you email us a copy of it? Thanks

Jessica said...

Jamie, you'll be a great PP. I can't believe they thrust you into it on the big day! You'll do great, I know what you mean about feeling the mantle. Its a big job but I don't know anyone more capable!

Jill Petersen said...

Once again- Heidi makes me laugh my behind off!

The picture of fall is gorgeous! This earth is such a beautiful place!

Congrats on the calling! You really will be awesome at it. It will just take a couple months to get your feet wet! And- don't forget why you have counselors. You have been in primary for a while know and you know how it works! Just let the spirit guide you! Listen to me! All up on my advice! he he!!!


Did you see SNL last night with Palin? I couldn't stop laughing at the Weekend Update and Amy Poeler's rap!

Amy said...

Heidi is awesome! What better person to be president than Santa Claus?

Summer said...

I am so proud of you Jamie! You will be a great primary president! I miss you!

Sarah said...

You will do wonderful as Primary President!

My first program as Primary President, we had everything too well timed that we ended 20 minutes early! That meant that everyone in the presidency got to speak leaving me 15 minutes! You can bet the next year we did not make that mistake again...

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...