Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Daughter the Anti-Latino


On the way home from Helena last night Addie got the choose the DVD and she chose "The Three Caballeros"--the classic Disney tour of Latin America. Heidi objected thusly:

H: I hate this movie! No!
Me: Why do you hate it? It's a great show!
H: Because I hate Mexicans!
Me: [somewhat shocked because we freaking love all things Mexican in our home, except the immigration problem] No you don't, Heidi! You love Mexican food and music, and your friend Maria is Mexican!
H: NO SHE'S NOT! How many times do I have to tell you? She's CHINESE!
ME: How many times do I have to tell YOU, she's Mexican? Her mommy came from Mexico and she speaks Spanish--she's not Chinese, that's silly.
ADDIE: [piping up from the backseat] Yeah, that IS silly. How is a Chinese person going to come all the way to America???
[Richard and I were DYING in the front seat by now; I was laughing so hard I almost choked myself]
H: Okay, I don't hate Mexicans, I just hate the way they sing. They sing so stupid!
Me: Let's just watch the movie--it's fun to learn about Mexico and South America...and we dont' say stupid...
***

Then later on, today, Heidi asked to watch a Dora DVD and I said, "Are you sure you want to watch that? Dora is a Mexican, ya know."

"No she's not, mom. She's Chinese," Heidi responded.

"Then why does she speak Spanish?" I asked.

"She doesn't. She speaks Chinese."

8 comments:

Shoeaddict said...

I'm laughing SO hard. She is too funny.

Summer said...

That is too funny! Does Heidi watch Kai Lan or however you spell it...

Elizabeth said...

This by far is the funniest thing ever! I am having a hard time typing cause I am laughing so hard! By the way I didn't care for Mexicans when I was a kid. They picked on me so much in school. I have changed my tune however. I gotta pass this on to Byron, he willcrack up too!

Aim said...

hahahahahaha! Your kids would totally rock at that show with Bill Cosby they used to have because your kids truly do say the darndest things!

Thanks again for coming all the way up here to hang out. my favorite part was snuggling on the bed and talking with you and laura while we waited for jill. i heart snuggle time.

Geo said...

Whoo boy, James. What are talking about for FHE tonight? Maybe you ought to include a piƱata.

Laura said...

Gotta love little miss Heidi Lynners! I love you James. Thanks for coming up. It was so good to see you.

Anonymous said...

This is Jess - Your kids are hilarious!! We totally miss you guys. Is it wrong to want the world to end quicker so we have an excuse to move back to Montana?

We hope you are feeling better. If laughing is one of the best medicines then Dr. Heidi is giving you full doses on a regular basis!

Jamie said...

Summer: I was thinking that, too--Heidi does watch Kai-Lan occasionally, and I bet she just thinks all dark-haired foreigners are Chinese. Although she was mixed up about this before Kai Lan started, I think it contributes to her confusion.
Jess: You're right--Heidi makes me a better person every day in many ways ;) Congrats on your second girl--twice the drama, thrice the fun!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...