Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Provo Parade of Homes

As mentioned below, this year marks twenty years since I moved to Provo, so I took my nieces and my kids on a little photo safari to take pictures of my old houses. Come stroll down student-ghetto-memory-lane with me...

267 W. 1200 N.--Truth be told, I did live in a 6-person apartment at the Riviera all by myself for 3 months before I moved into this basement apartment with Mary Bown and Jeanne Buchert in August 1990. But who needs a picture of the Riv? Not me. We had tons-o-fun at this house and I started the long process of really growing up at this house--painful lessons, Twin Peaks +pumpkin cookies+ Pepsi, good friends, etc. I remember spending a week with Willy before his mission at this house. We watched the Gulf War begin on our tiny TV here.

The next summer, I lived here at Frankenhaus (is it 189 E. 500N.? Right by the BYAcademy/Library) with a bunch of people, including Julie Paynter Callahan. This is where I met my soul sista, Lisa Robbins Andersen, too. Back then, the Academy building was abandoned, surrounded by chain link, prolly haunted, and it wasn't as fun to live by it as it would be now. One time, all our friends who lived here got arrested for playing hide and seek in the Academy Building. For some reason, I stayed home to study that night (huh?!?!) and missed out on the experience. Best memories here are late nights with Kevin (we watched Johnny Carson retire here), slurpees from the nearby sev, and glow-in-the-dark frisbee in the intersection.

I began to settle down a bit and looked for a quieter place to live than Frankenhaus. I lived briefly in a house in Orem, but after a month or two I moved in with Jeanne Buchert again at this sweet little row house at 639 W. 100 N. This was probably the best living arrangement ever--so peaceful and fun (well, except for our arguments about the dishes--Jeanne bought new dishes rather than washing the dirty old ones, so I introduced her to paper plates and my crazy clean-freak side--we of course forgave each other for this). Both our brothers (Martin and Willy) were on missions and I have fun memories of us sitting down to write them wacky collage letters. It was in this house where I received my personal revelation to serve a mission, and I lived here while working at Maeser Elementary with Dawnelle Sanders. Really good times (and a cute house).

My next "apartment" in Provo was the MTC...I entered on October 7, 1992 and stayed for 18 days. Then I was off to North Carolina Raleigh.
This, of course, is my Heavenly Father's house, which I visited often after October 1992.

IT'S RUPPER FIVE!!!
When I came home from my mission, I lived for a couple of months in an apatment complex until this little beauty opened up (right above a dental office! I would once again live above a dental office in Livingston while we built our house, but when Erin tried to mock me, I said, "I may live above a dental office, but you live WITH A DENTIST!" --word). It's not the prettiest building, but inside many beautiful things happened. I made two of my dearest friends--Heidi Buchert Egan and Erin Lyman Casper--and learned how to live a life of post-mission integrity. It was a wonderful year!
Don't forget the boys next door at the House of Fun...
Or our beloved Sev...the 7-11 where I threw my change under the bushes (for homeless people or for later), where we bought nachos and slurpees (because corn is a grain, cheese is dairy and jalapenos are vegetables and slurpees are fruit) to eat while we watched NHL and Simpsons!
***
I left Rupper 5 to move to DC/ North Carolina for a year, then I moved to Tucson to finish my degree at the University of Arizona. I didn't return to Provo until the new milenium when I got a job teaching English at UVSC and writing marketing copy for Morinda. I lived for a month with Erin, who was now married and had just given birth to her third child, until I found this condo:
This secluded little villa on Carterville Road is special because it is where I met Richard, and where I lived until I moved into our little Draper love nest (at the complex now known as Adagio). I lived here with Kooky Julie, then Michelle Cook, and Kim Sidwell. Totally pleasant experience all around!
We lived up in Salt Lake County for one year after we were married. But in November 2001, when Addie was born, Richard got a job in Provo, so we looked for a place there. Rob and Geo rgia Buchert found this house right next to them and we moved in in February 2002. We stayed until Rich's company went under in September, then made our big move to Livingston. This house mostly holds crazy post-partum memories for me, but again, a great experience.
This concludes our Parade of Provo Homes. We hope you enjoyed your tour...please exit to your left. :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Frankenhaus memories: Listening to music and flipping through your scrapbook in your upper bedroom; watching [Sean? Maybe?] give Bald-girl-whose-name-I-can't-remember a haircut. I offered to do it, then sort of chickened out. Now I wish I had. How often does that opportunity arise?

Megan said...

Aww. That is too cute! I actually know where most of those houses are and I lived by BY acadamey when it was haunted too.

Jamie said...

Lisa--yes, Sean, and the bald girl was Eileen.

Megan--I could have been your student teacher back then! (if you'd gone to Maeser, that is--were you in 5th grade in 1992?). I miss you, girlfriend!

Jill Petersen said...

What a fun parade! I remember some of those houses. Memories in them too, especially the last house in provo. I remember Matt waiting for Amie to come over and he was going to surprise her and jump out in the bushes. They weren't even engaged at that point I don't think. It was me and Drew and Ally if I remember right and we hid in the dark forever it felt like! SO funny!!!


I also remember just driving to visit you guys from Sandy and it felt like such a long drive! It is sooo not a long drive! I did love that house.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...