Monday, July 26, 2010

These are the days when you wish your bed was already made

Rich is doin' logs at the ranch and I'm up late. The kids were all asleep by nine, so I caught up on some DVR'ed TV (which is rare in the summer)--a new Intervention and a new Oprah [btw, I almost missed this new Oprah because DVR no longer lists her under "O" for Oprah Winfrey--it's under "T" for The Oprah Winfrey Show. Weird]. This Intervention was a sad one cuz the poor addict's family promised they would go get Betty Ford Family treatment if she went to rehab and they totally let her down. It always makes me mad when the family doesn't do The Work cuz how is the addict supposed to go home to that steaming pot of crazy from whence she came and get better? It's usually the people who think they are well who stir the pot. So sad.

And then I kinda skipped thru a new Oprah with Gavin de Becker talking about The Gift of Fear again, and an interview with Jenny Sanford (ex-wife of the former SC governor who had the Argentine girlfriend--remember that?). I am not sure I believe that Jenny's as well as she says she is, but I admire the stance that she took and I wish that more people would at least TRY to be decent and dignified when their worlds collapse. I especially liked the part where she and Oprah were talking about, "You say to yourself, 'let's be the best people we can be through this'"--you know, rather than rising to the occasion (or sinking in the situation), you rise above it, take the proverbial high road, and keep your peace and dignity for the sake of your children. Novel idea. Like I said, I doubt she has been as 'okay with it' as she has to portray publicly, but you have to know that God [or The Universe, in Oprah-ese] rewards that kind of effort with spiritual guidance and inner peace. If you can at least get out there and talk the talk, I believe He helps you walk the walk, ya know? So good for you, Jenny. Now tell your webmasters to update your website cuz there's still a whole section about your restoration projects and tours at the governor's mansion when your home page says you are living on Shutter Island now. Er, I mean, Sullivan's Island. Awkward.

Earlier, the kids got all surly so I took them to Bozeman to Costco. It was pretty fun, although I was a bit snappish cuz the traffic was slow. We had a good time and came and made a great dinner and had a fun FHE (with yummy apple dumplings for treats--Heidi made them, mostly by herself). Two things that bugged me today--one is gross, one was just annoying: first, I hit some mosquitoes with my windshield on the interstate and let me tell ya--I don't know how those suckers were flying with that much human blood in them, but when they hit my windshield, I almost barfed. You know me and blood--I kid you not, it was bad. I had three different splatters that looked like a quarter teaspoon each. Gag. Then when I got off the interstate, I was on the road that goes toward my neighborhood and the speed limit was 50. But the maroon Pontiac in front of me was going 18 mph. No lie. I was trying to get Rich's lunch to him ASAP and--well, it was frustrating. I did get to read very clearly the bumper sticker that said, "I went to Norsk Hostfest in Minot, North Dakota." Uff-dah!

I had a couple of Heidi-isms to post, but they escape me now. Suffice it to say, she is entertaining us while simultaneously pushing the boundaries AND being the family's moral compass. Yay, her. Addie and James pretty much just duck and cover--gotta stick together!

Well, I am rambling again. I should go to bed. I finished Kacy's blog today, so I better go to the library and find me a book tomorrow. We're driving to Billings to go to the temple, so that's two whole quiet hours (unless we decide to chat rather than catch up on podcasts or read library books. Either way, yay!).

1 comment:

Aim said...

i love that song! "it's just another manic mondaaaay!" Matt got me hooked on it. I totally stole that beautiful montana picture from your site. did you notice? haha.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...