Friday, November 05, 2010

The Best of Nights, The Worst of Nights

Yesterday was a draining day. It was my first day "up" all day in nearly a month. I got up and finished all the laundry, mending, cleaned out the girls' dressers/ closet, made a thrift store donation, prepared for PTO meeting, picked up the kids, went to teacher conferences, fed the kids (Rich was at his stake meetings in Bozeman), went to PTO meeting, and picked up the kids from Grandma's at about 8pm. While they were climbing into the car, Heidi got her hand shut in the car door. It looked gnarly enough that Grandma and I decided I should take Heidi to the ER and let Addie and James stay with her. After about an hour and some XRays, we learned that Heidi's hand was not broken, just contused. Rich met us at the ER and Heidi's hand is in a splint for the weekend. Luckily (well, lucky for the kids, not me) there is no school today, so she won't miss any work (it's her right hand). It ended up being a late night and I was in a ton of pain. I finally got all settled in bed with a heating pad and some lemon water, and turned on the Colbert Report.

My hard day was rewarded with Elvis Costello singing a song from his new album, National Ransom on The Colbert Report. The song, "A Slow Drag with Josephine," was BEAUTIFUL! In fact, while I was all enthralled with the show, James was laying next to me, commenting, "That guy is a cute Grandpa... That cute Grandpa sings fun songs...Mom, this is my favorite song, I love it." (aside: yet another great song about "Josephine"--I love the Wallflowers' Josephine song, too--if I ever had another daughter to name, she'd be our Josie!) After his new song, Elvis sang "Dream" with Colbert. Stephen Colbert is the luckiest dawg in the world! Check it out:

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Exclusive - Elvis Costello - All I Have to Do Is Dream
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full Episodes2010 ElectionMarch to Keep Fear Alive


So that end of the story is, hard, hard day rewarded by not just a lovely lullabye from one of my all-time favorite musicians, but also IRA GLASS (my other Jewish boyfriend) and DAVID SEDARIS on The Daily Show. Most nights I'm sorry I ever turned on the TV; last night I was exultant. Heidi is fine today, I feel better, we baked 6 loaves of banan bread, and Sedaris' new book in in the mail (Rich got it for me for my bday). Life is sweet.

1 comment:

lizardofoz said...

My dad used to sing "dream" wih his guitar..that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...