Sunday, August 02, 2009

I Draw Myself Apart

I have been thinking a lot about THIS POST I wrote two years ago, so I went back and re-read it. Sometimes I wish so much that Heavenly Father could show me the "unmet needs", automatically, and also how to fill them. Sometimes I wish he'd jump in and fill the void, saying, "Awww, just this once! To heck with the plan and figuring it out! Let me just patch that hole...." and make us all-better. And I am sure he wishes that sometimes, too. But we have to do the work and the work is hard. I'm tired. I'm tired, and it's really not even me who has the long row to hoe. So, so world-weary....

Which is why I am glad I got to escape to the little fluffy cloud of peace that is Relief Society today, even if it's just for this week, and even though it was just for 20 minutes. We sang the following song, and I though of how important it is to seek healing and comfort from the right sources; to invite our Maker to fill those "deep, unmet needs" rather than filling the void with junk:

Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace when other sources cease to make me whole
when with a wounded heart
anger or malice
I draw myself apart, searching my soul?
Where, when my aching grows
Where, when I languish
Where, in my need to know,
Where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He--only One.
He answers privately, reaches my reaching
in my Gethsemane, my Savior and friend.
Gentle the peace He finds for my beseeching
Constant He is, and kind...
Love without end.
***

I'm so glad today was fast Sunday.

PS: Here's another applicable link.

PPS: And I just found THIS: “In the gospel of Jesus Christ you have help from both sides of the veil, and you must never forget that. When disappointment and discouragement strike–and they will–you remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see riding at reckless speed to come to our protection. (See 2 Kings 6:16-17)They will always be there, these armies of heaven, in defense of Abraham’s seed.”
Jeffrey R. Holland:

7 comments:

Jenn said...

OK if today was your last time in RS what does that mean exactly??? I'm just asking!

Jamie said...

silly jen, I just said, "even IF..." meaning, you know, IF. I know I'll be back next week because I am teaching the lesson! :)

CrumpyLady said...

Hey...if it helps I know how you are feeling! And, how trying it is on everyone, even if YOU are not the one going through the worst part. It hurts to see your family members struggling with something so terrible, and know there's nothing you can do until they are ready to change. But, I know if my bro can do it...anyone can.

Aim said...

Thanks for that Jamie. I especially like that last quote. How true that is and what a great source of comfort.

Sarah said...

Hey- did you know the woman who wrote that hymn did so as she watched her daughter go through deep depression? The person who wrote the music also had a child with similar problems. She said her daughter came to her one day and said, "Mom, I just need to know where to turn to find peace." She said the words just came to her. I think that hymn has been a comfort to more people as inspired music is!

Anonymous said...

Jamie, I have that quote of Jeffery R. Hollands on my FB page... It is my salvation at times.. well to tell the truth ALL the TIME... <3

autumn said...

I love you, Jamie!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...